Benghazi. Tea Party targeting by the IRS. Associated Press records seized by the Department of Justice. Kerry Washington. Okay. That last one is actually an actress from a television show called Scandal that has recently exploded in popularity. The first three, though? Those are scandals that likely won’t see closing curtains for a while. They are [...]
Inside the beltway, there’s a tendency to “gate” everything. If you’re old enough, or a student of history, you know that Richard Nixon’s Watergate scandal ...
In Greek mythology, Amazons were said to remove a breast in order to better shoot arrows. This week, the world awoke to realize that the ...
Washington Republicans and Democrats finally found something about which they can agree: The Internal Revenue Service should not have singled out groups with conservative sounding ...
First posted at JedMorey.com Hysteria over New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s lap band surgery has coupled with coverage of Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries’s interview in which he admitted, “I don’t want larger people shopping in the store,” has turned into what I’d like to call America’s latest round of bigotry: Weigh-cism. Not that [...]
It’s high time for white folks to stop laughing at the way black folks talk. Of course, I’m referring to the latest social media sensation: Charles Ramsey, the man who is a hero for his Good Samaritan role in the rescue of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight from the Cleveland home of Ariel [...]
Princess Merida from the movie Brave isn’t the last strong female character Brenda Chapman has in mind for her fans. That’s what Chapman told The Broad Side in one of her first interviews after the recent uproar over Disney’s attempts to change Merida’s appearance as part of her “induction” into the ever-growing Disney Princess franchise. [...]
If you’ve been following the gun control debate over the months since the Newtown tragedy, one thing has become radically apparent: the gun rights movement is far better organized than the gun control movement. And the gun rights movement is emerging victorious, at least on the federal level, because of it. But a recent story [...]
The New York Times published the results of an AARP study on attitudes toward older workers. As a Baby Boomer, I read the article anxiously — through my pink rhinestone reading glasses — and posted it on my Facebook page. The article, titled, “Older Workers Say Age Bias is Common,” noted that “the AARP [...]
“What do you like to do for fun?” I often pose this question to the over-scheduled and stressed out teenage girls who come into my office. Some give me a look as if to say the last time they did something seemingly fun and frivolous was a spontaneous trip to the ice skating rink years [...]
The has been much Disney fanfare welcoming the “new and improved” Princess Merida from the movie Brave — a new image, and an official induction ceremony at Disney World, complete with a live Queen Elinor, and adult Merida, taking her “rightful” place next to all the other princesses. But Disney’s Merida makeover — sexy or [...]
Novelist Fay Weldon instructs us that, “Comedy is the most crucial thing we have left in a world that’s coming apart.” Comedy in all its familiar forms–from novels to films, from cartoons to stand-up comedy, from humor in the workplace to humor in intimate relationships–can help women recognize new sources of power within themselves. The [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- When Big Pharma “Strong” Arms Mothers, We All Lose May 6, 2013
- President’s Woes Don’t Equal Watergate May 18, 2013
- Angelina the Amazon May 17, 2013
- 6 Things You Need To Know Right Now: Scandals Abound! May 17, 2013
- The IRS & the Tea Party: Nonprofits Need More Scrutiny, Not Less May 17, 2013
- “Weigh-cism” in America May 16, 2013
- Veronica Arreola: Thank you! Brenda just sent me this link to a woma...
- tinfoil hattie: Oh, I so,relate to that. And I am so sorry for you...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: What a terrible choice these women are forced to m...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: Will just makes me laugh out loud....
- Holly: Great summary of in real life scandals....
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter