Last week Joanne introduced our new weekly feature called 6 Things You Need to Know Right Now, putting together the best content from all over the internet in one place. Like one stop shopping! Who doesn’t love that?
This week we have all kinds of goodies!
1. Arkansas vs. Abortion Rights – The state of Arkansas is one step away from passing the most extreme anti-abortion law in the country. According to The Huffington Post” Republican-controlled committee in the Arkansas House of Representatives has approved a bill that bans abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy if a fetal heartbeat is detected, with exceptions for rape, incest, the life of the mother and highly lethal fetal disorders.”
While the unemployment rate in Arkansas looms at 7.1% the Republican lawmakers focus on a relentless attack on reproductive rights, instead of helping the community on a deeper, more needed level.
2. Bullies Called Him Pork Chop – I came across this moving video about a young boy who was bullied as a child and turned his pain that remained with him for a lifetime, and turned it into a beautiful viral video. I hope everyone will take a time to view this and understand the deep toll bullying is taking on all people. Not just our children.
3. Hillary Clinton’s Amazing Political Legacy – The amazing career of Hillary Clinton in one infogram right here on The Broad Side. In light of all the Hillary chatter this week, it is a must see!
4. Former Republican Presidential Candidate Stands Up for Marriage Equality – Jon Huntsman, who ran alongside of Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney, and the parade of Republicans vying for the 2012 nomination stood up and encouraged conservatives to embrace marriage equality. He encouraged Republican lawmakers all over the country by saying:
“Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry. I’ve been married for 29 years. My marriage has been the greatest joy of my life. There is nothing conservative about denying other Americans the ability to forge that same relationship with the person they love.”
5. Breastfeeding in Public is a Feminist Issue – In a moving piece on Streaming Consciousness makes the case for the right to breastfeed in public as a front runner in feminist issues we all should be fighting for. I for one couldn’t agree more, and fell in love with this post from the get go.
6. We Can Probe Your Vagina Because You Got Pregnant That Way! Sounds like great logic behind violating women with unwanted vaginal ultrasounds right? Robin Marty, one of our contributors also writes over for RHRealityCheck which is a favorite of mine, covered an idiotic statement from an Indiana Right to Life group member during a legislative hearing:
“I got pregnant vaginally. Something else could come in my vagina for a medical test that wouldn’t be that intrusive to me. So I find that argument a little ridiculous.”
What I find offensive is the repeated, blatant disrespect for medical privacy.
Photo Credit: Flickr