She edged into my classroom, hoping not to be noticed as the new kid to the school. It was late January of her 9th grade year. I read her demeanor immediately. She didn’t want a fuss, she didn’t want to talk, she shut down, closed herself off to the friendly smiles, built a brick wall [...]
About Corina Fiore
Corina Fiore, The Broad Side’s Science Editor, is a curriculum designer, professional photographer, writer, educator, mother and idealist. She is also the founder and editor-in-chief of the blog She Acts, a site dedicated to moving words to action. Corina believes that community service and education aren’t ideas, they are ways of life. Her writing is included in Mothers of Intention: How Women and Social Media are Revolutionizing Politics in America.
Milton and Catherine Hershey had a vision. Their vision was realized in the Milton Hershey School, to “nurture and educate children in social and financial need to lead fulfilling and productive lives.“ To that end, the Milton Hershey School in Pennsylvania has provided thousands of under-served and underprivileged children a stellar education free of charge [...]
Sexual harassment scandals. Super-committees failing to live up to their name. CEO’s taking big bonuses while their company lays off employees. Coaches and universities protecting an alleged pedophile in order to protect the institution. Congressmen retiring because running for re-election means that they might have to listen to the voters. Lobbyists lining their pockets instead [...]
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education is something I think about on a daily basis. After all, I currently work as a science curriculum designer and I am a former high school science teacher, with hopes to return to the classroom. I come from a long line of physicists and engineers and I am [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- When Big Pharma “Strong” Arms Mothers, We All Lose May 6, 2013
- President’s Woes Don’t Equal Watergate May 18, 2013
- Angelina the Amazon May 17, 2013
- 6 Things You Need To Know Right Now: Scandals Abound! May 17, 2013
- The IRS & the Tea Party: Nonprofits Need More Scrutiny, Not Less May 17, 2013
- “Weigh-cism” in America May 16, 2013
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: What a terrible choice these women are forced to m...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: Will just makes me laugh out loud....
- Holly: Great summary of in real life scandals....
- Gena: No. I will not stop being African-American, Black ...
- deb: thanks for your nice comment SJ. "laughing at ot...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter