Election Year 2012 marches on to November. Here and there social causes are used as political footballs. Some candidates surviving the latest tackle will see a few more yards. But there is one national issue that we, particularly women of all ages, cannot allow to be benched – health care insurance and the basic reforms [...]
About Helen Jonsen
Helen Jonsen is a veteran journalist with a kaleidoscope career in media appearing on television and radio as a commentator, reporter and behind the scenes producer in the US and Melbourne, Australia, where she lived for a couple years. With an understanding of economy and markets tempered by a touch of Aussie cynicism and the reality of how to run a big family through the ups and downs of varying health care crises and a tanking economy, she has a lot to say about politics, policy and the world around us. She was most recently editor of workingmother.com and a senior editor at Forbes.com. Helen is currently the consulting General Manager and Chief Content Officer for Ballooning Nest Eggs, where families are inspired to grow nest eggs for and with their children. She is a contributing expert to the book The Seven Pearls of Financial Wisdom: A Woman’s Guide to Enjoying Wealth and Power. Earlier, as a television journalist in New York City before Mayor Bloomberg, she learned there was no glamour in covering Gotham from City Hall and the Bowery to Harlem and the outer Boros (and certainly not when looking for restrooms at a murder scene when seven months pregnant.) Helen is married to award-winning Aussie television news cameraman, Mark Watkins. They have four somewhat grown-up children. Tweet @helen_jonsen. Find out more at helenjonsen.com
As my college-age daughter flies out of the door for an afternoon class, she shouts she’ll see me for dinner. We are in a new place right now. For the last five years I have been employed by two major media companies–Forbes and Bonnier’s Working Mother Media division–in positions which included 40-60 hours a week [...]
In my life, it has been the year of the girl for a long time now, ever since the first of my three daughters was born. “Girls!” we often scream when the decibel levels rise about the red line on an audiometer. When you have three daughters you inevitably are surrounded by multitudes of [...]
March 8th is International Women’s Day. A day more celebrated or acknowledged in other parts of the world than in the US in general but it is catching on. Social media, democratized media, great technology are fueling the expansion of awareness days and campaigns. Like this one. The United Nations acknowledges International Women’s Day with [...]
- Happy Flag Day! Or How HGTV Learned the Hard Way How Not to Treat the American Flag June 14, 2013
- The One Child Solution June 11, 2013
- Must the “Devious Maids” All be Latina? June 11, 2013
- Rape Culture Round-up June 14, 2013
- The Plan B Pill: If It Were MY Daughter… June 13, 2013
- Claire McCaskill & Hillary Clinton: Not Exactly BFFs June 18, 2013
- Sarah Palin’s Commencement Advice is All Wrong June 18, 2013
- Hillary’s Privilege Backpack Needs More Unpacking June 18, 2013
- “Last Summer”: A Movie For The Gay Men I Have Loved June 18, 2013
- Anti-Plan B Sentiment is About Sex, Not Health June 17, 2013
- jessica @peekababy: There are few things worse than an unwanted pregna...
- Aliza Worthington: Thank YOU for that comment. I agree 1000%....
- Blake: Zero point three percent. The issue is proportiona...
- Cheryl Nicholl: Ooh come on... You've GOT to be kidding. I don't...
- Teresa Welby: I think it is ridiculous to criticize Clinton abou...
Get The Broad Side in your inbox!
Support The Broad Side
The Broad Side is a group of independent journalists dedicated to bringing you thoughtful and thought-provoking opinion pieces you won't find anywhere else. We plan to keep ads/sponsorships to a minimum, so if you enjoy what you read here, please consider becoming a member of The Broad Side with a recurring monthly donation.
You can also become a one-time patron with a single donation in any amount:
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter