Have you ever played the childhood game “One of These Things is Not Like the Other?” Have you ever been that Thing? When I had my first real job in the corporate world I remember a time I was waiting in the elevator bank to go to up my new office. I was living in [...]
About Ilina Ewen
Ilina Ewen is known as “Mommy” to two sons ages 8 and 6, affectionately called Bird and Deal. She’s a creative spirit with business sensibilities and a love for all things culinary. Ilina is a seasoned marketer with over 20 years of experience in branding, communications, advertising, and consumer research. She brings her quirky, candid style and sense of curiosity to everything she does. She believes in the power of community and spends her time advocating for causes that touch her heart or ruffle her feathers. Ilina is a lover of words and has an affinity for Audrey Hepburn, the Oxford comma, and Meyer lemons. She writes about her musings and rants at Dirt & Noise (home of the weekly feature 5:00 Fridays, where you can find a new cocktail recipe and the story that inspired it), TypeAParent, and Technorati. Ilina has also contributed to Foodie Mama, Deep South Moms, Triangle Mamas, and WRAL’s GoAskMom. When she has a moment to breathe, you’ll find Ilina building LEGO masterpieces, spoiling her dog, reading everything from cookbooks to Anna Quindlen, or trying to hit a baseball as far as her sons can. She received a BA in History from the University of Virginia and an MS in Integrated Marketing Communications from Northwestern University.
It’s worth noting that sun did not shine in North Carolina today. By now you’ve heard that North Carolina’s voters have cast their ballots to amend our state Constitution. Amending a Constitution is no small feat and is not to be taken lightly. North Carolinians voted on Amendment One that stated that the only recognized [...]
May had just entered her teenage years. She was a chatterbox who loved horses, George Strait, and Rice Krispie treats. May and her mom were appalled that I didn’t know any George Strait songs. They couldn’t believe I’d never slid my feet into cowboy boots or ridden a horse bareback. I was amazed they had [...]
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach. A crappier load of BS was never uttered. I say, “Those who can, teach. Those who can’t, get out of the way.” I am fed up with people who do not value teachers. Did these people not reach their station in life thanks to a teacher in [...]
It’s easy to judge him with his saggy jeans, eyes that look away from your gaze, and cigarette dangling from his scrawny fingers. We stare and have an 8mm film flicker by of stereotypes that make us think he is bad, dangerous, scary, irresponsible, lazy. We see a man who is able bodied but not [...]
Let me start by stating that despite what this post sounds like, I am not male bashing. I happen to have some incredibly good male friendships and a very strong marriage. I have worked with male mentors and have a male babysitter. This post is not about my disdain for men in general. But I [...]
Dear America, It’s been a heated few years. Politics brings out the worst in all of us, myself included. And we should be ashamed. The fighting, name calling, finger pointing, and venom spewing are not going to get us anywhere. Just over your shoulder at the at the last 12 years. It’s hard to recognize [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- What is REALLY Important to Military Families May 21, 2013
- Tina: This article confirms our decisions about college....
- Joanne Bamberger: @Jonathan, That is an excellent point. We should ...
- Jonathan Menon: Not that this comment of mine has any real relevan...
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter