The Wal-Mart v. Dukes case carries on in a different form as a federal district court denied a motion to dismiss a class action suit of California women alleging pay and employment discrimination. The named plaintiffs represent more than 100,000 current or former women employees of California Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club stores. The class includes [...]
About Jessica Pieklo
Jessica Pieklo is a lawyer and law professor who focuses on constitutional and gender issues. Prior to a career teaching and writing she was a litigator where her specialties included corporate accountability and health law. She is the founder of the blog Hegemommy and a blogger at Care2.com. Raised by liberals in conservative Nebraska, Jessica was taught to speak her mind and question authority practically out of the womb. She now lives in Minneapolis with her husband and their two children where her time is spent writing, teaching, and chasing after them. In those rare free moments she likes to tend to her garden, support local and sustainable agriculture, practice yoga and work on all things good-governance related.
So here it is. This term the Supreme Court will decide the fate of the Affordable Care Act, a fact that given the fight for passage and then fight in the courts, is not that surprising. So far the bulk of the focus has revolved around the individual mandate, perhaps the least popular provision of [...]
If there has been a consistent, non-partisan critique of the Occupy Wall Street movement it has been that it lacks clear and common vision. That’s fine. So Occupy Wall Street doesn’t fit on a bumper sticker. But it doesn’t take a lot to see that the underlying movement circles around the problem of economic disenfranchisement. [...]
Yesterday I made tomato soup from scratch. The fact that I made soup is unremarkable because I make soup all the time, and being that it is September and tomatoes are in full swing, me making tomato soup should be no big deal. But without even realizing it, yesterday it became ritual. See, my grandmother [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- What is REALLY Important to Military Families May 21, 2013
- Tina: This article confirms our decisions about college....
- Joanne Bamberger: @Jonathan, That is an excellent point. We should ...
- Jonathan Menon: Not that this comment of mine has any real relevan...
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter