The tiny “housekeeping cottages” my family used to rent at New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee are fishing sheds compared with Mitt Romney’s sprawling, 11,000 acre estate along those shores. There was little to do there, and usually the prospect of a twilight rowboat ride, skippered by my Navy veteran Dad, was all we had to keep the hope of excitement alive during long [...]
About Marie Cocco
Marie Cocco is a former nationally syndicated columnist who still has opinions she’s happy to share.
No matter whether Mitt Romney finishes first, second or third in the Iowa Republican caucuses tonight, he “wins” and becomes what he has been all along–the presumptive GOP nominee. Those Democrats who believe the parade of horribles in GOP debates and endless rounds of television interviews have helped President Barack Obama’s re-election chances are doing [...]
The approach of the Iowa Republican caucuses inspires me to think about other irredeemably bad ideas. Among the thousands free-floating in the political atmosphere, one stands above all others as having the worst consequences for pretty much every part of the Democratic Party–with the exception of affluent, educated liberals who are now and always have [...]
- Unisex Bathrooms: A Stopgap Measure for Transgender Americans June 17, 2013
- The One Child Solution June 11, 2013
- Happy Flag Day! Or How HGTV Learned the Hard Way How Not to Treat the American Flag June 14, 2013
- Must the “Devious Maids” All be Latina? June 11, 2013
- The Plan B Pill: If It Were MY Daughter… June 13, 2013
- Keep Calm and Mother On June 19, 2013
- Claire McCaskill & Hillary Clinton: Not Exactly BFFs June 18, 2013
- Sarah Palin’s Commencement Advice is All Wrong June 18, 2013
- Hillary’s Privilege Backpack Needs More Unpacking June 18, 2013
- “Last Summer”: A Movie For The Gay Men I Have Loved June 18, 2013
- OmK: “I cannot think of any trans person i know that ...
- Dale: Also one additional thought. For the average "...
- Dale: A few thoughts to consider on this topic. When ...
- Elissa: Great post, Aliza - it likely underscores what alo...
- SophieCT: "The bathrooms in our homes are unisex. Why not c...
Get The Broad Side in your inbox!
Support The Broad Side
The Broad Side is a group of independent journalists dedicated to bringing you thoughtful and thought-provoking opinion pieces you won't find anywhere else. We plan to keep ads/sponsorships to a minimum, so if you enjoy what you read here, please consider becoming a member of The Broad Side with a recurring monthly donation.
You can also become a one-time patron with a single donation in any amount:
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter