Viola Barksdale gets kudos for our Broad of the Week. Never heard of Viola Barksdale? Surrounded by 91 laughing, mingling people I leaned into my grandmother, Viola Barksdale, at her 90th birthday party. Look at all the people you made!” I quipped. She beamed. I love getting to see everyone, but I most enjoy seeing [...]
About Tracee Sioux
Tracee Sioux is a journalist and freelance writer, the passionate creator and entrepreneur of The Girl Revolution and TGR Body, mother, wife, seeker and believer. Tracee is also the author of Love Distortion: Belle, Battered Codependent and Other Love Stories and six children’s history books commissioned by Rosen Publishing. Love letters from former editors and current clients can be found on Tracee’s Linked in profile. You can also “Like” The Girl Revolution Facebook Page and follow her on Twitter at @traceesioux.
The Fort Collins Museum has a Mask fundraiser annually and this year I attended the Masquerade Ball with my friend Anna. There were many beautiful masks but this one gave me pause. The opportunity to confront Father Time about his tricks and schemes doesn’t present itself everyday, so I faced him head on. Listen Father [...]
A few days ago, I wrote about how I might be breaking up with feminism for a great many legit reasons. There are plenty of things to be disappointed about with feminism as a movement. But this image below seduced me back in: Brilliant women. Smart women. Creative women. Strong women. Worthy women. [...]
I’ve long said that blogging and the Internet makes freedom of speech a reality for women. Women may have had the “right to speak” before, but who would hear them? I’ve also identified as a feminist since my teenage years. Still, I’ve been disenchanted, shall we say. And while I’m going to a panel soon [...]
I don’t care. I don’t care about a lot of things that a lot of good people believe that, if I were a good person with a soul, I should care about. They care about it, so it appears to follow that everyone needs to care about it. Or the world will end. Or there will be injustice. [...]
As I embarked on a personalized week-long retreat with SpiritQuest, a spiritual retreat company, in Sedona, I take a deep breath and realize a very important thing. I am sovereign. Standing at a crossroads in my life I find myself in a uniquely liberating position. Sovereignty. I divorced last year, making me single after a [...]
In 2009, I sat in a Toastmaster’s meeting in which we shared what we really, really wanted to do for a living. One woman said she dreamed of working with geriatrics, but felt that was impractical so she was struggling through to retirement from the postal service. Isn’t that funny? I know many people who [...]
I had a realization in 2012: my Soul will always get what She wants. To resist or ignore the voice of my Inner Wise Woman, the Still Small Voice, the Holy Spirit’s promptings—whatever you want to call it—will lead to unhappiness and discontent. To listen to this Inner Wise Woman, my Soul’s cry, is to [...]
It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine. ~R.E.M. I woke up on the morning of 12/21/2012. So did my children, and judging from the activity on Facebook, so did you. Of course there exists the possibility that sometime today a comet could come screaming to earth, eliminating life. [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Pope Francis on Religious Tolerance: Do Good. We Will Meet One Another There May 23, 2013
- Voting ‘Yes’ for Schools, But ‘No’ to Giving My Time May 23, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Renae: This is a fantastic article, and it brought tears ...
- tracy thompson: The college pressure on teenage girls is incredibl...
- Joan Haskins: Terrific article, Tina!...
- Tina: Thanks Amy. Jen, you're singing my song....
- Rebecca: Loved this piece - I completely agree that we need...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter