Last week Marissa Mayer, the relatively new CEO of Yahoo!, and apparent Super Mom to her newborn, made a big change for the staff. No more working remotely, a.k.a. telecommuting or what many of us know as working from home. The internet buzzed over this new development and many parents chimed in with their disapproval [...]
First published at jedmorey.com With the gun control debate taking over the national conversation, I’ve forced the writer in me to look at the issue critically, to reconcile the far-left idea of gun control with conservative fears of a too far-reaching government. But it was the mom in me who “liked” The Brady Campaign to [...]
The news is abuzz with talk of Sheryl Sandberg’s forthcoming book, and supposed new social movement, for working mothers to “Lean In” to their careers as a way to create more women leaders in all sectors of life. To do this, Sandberg suggests that women shouldn’t let parenthood be a barrier to advancement. Sounds good, [...]
I am not really one to watch late night television. Once my eleven o’clock news is over, I am pretty much toast most nights. But I had to record Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Friday night because my favorite band, The Avett Brothers would be performing. What I also forgot was the fact that [...]
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, if you’re a parent you’ve probably heard the newest decree from Marissa Mayer, the young CEO of Yahoo!, who was hired when she was five months pregnant and notably took only a two-week maternity leave after popping out her baby, undoubtedly while being fanned by her doula, a [...]
The year was 1935. America was in the depths of the Great Depression, and Jim Crow was very much alive. If your skin was black you couldn’t go into a white restaurant, stay in a white motel, or even drink from a white water fountain. You had to stay in the back of the bus. [...]
We know that Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic and Paralympic track star, has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. We know that she worked as a model, earned a law degree and was outspoken about violence against women. The only two things that are up in the air at this point are [...]
Last week Joanne introduced our new weekly feature called 6 Things You Need to Know Right Now, putting together the best content from all over the internet in one place. Like one stop shopping! Who doesn’t love that? This week we have all kinds of goodies! 1. Arkansas vs. Abortion Rights – The state of [...]
There is no doubt that Hillary Clinton has a vast political legacy that few politicians, let alone women politicians, can boast. Whether you are a fan of Hillary’s or not, I think we can all agree she deserves a nice rest — whether it includes an actual “run” or not! Which one of these is [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Pope Francis on Religious Tolerance: Do Good. We Will Meet One Another There May 23, 2013
- Voting ‘Yes’ for Schools, But ‘No’ to Giving My Time May 23, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Renae: This is a fantastic article, and it brought tears ...
- tracy thompson: The college pressure on teenage girls is incredibl...
- Joan Haskins: Terrific article, Tina!...
- Tina: Thanks Amy. Jen, you're singing my song....
- Rebecca: Loved this piece - I completely agree that we need...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter