When I moved 1,200 miles with my family from Connecticut to Florida I didn’t think the political culture would bother me much. I am extremely liberal, and I don’t think living in a different part of the country is going to change my beliefs. But one thing I have discovered is a lack of fairness [...]
I recently attended the National Young Feminist Leadership Conference (NYFLC), hosted by the Feminist Majority Foundation in Arlington, Virginia. One of the great things about feminism is that it encompasses such a broad range of issues. Health care, politics, economics and gun control are all feminist issues, and were all discussed at NYFLC. In light [...]
This was another week in which one news event dominated the airwaves — the Supreme Court heard oral arguments on two same-sex marriage cases. The first case to go before the Court related to California’s Proposition 8, a law that nullified the state supreme court’s decision that the California constitution protects the right to same-sex marriage. [...]
Again with the Republicans trying to crawl up in my uterus and man the ship. When will they learn that the uteruses belong with the vaginas and if you don’t have a vagina, you should probably just mind your own penis? Oh wait, they have and that is why now they have sent in a [...]
6 Things You Need to Know Right Now: The Sequester, Abortion Bowl-a-Thons & CNN vs. Real Journalists
It is that time of the week again! A lot has gone on in the media this week. Most of which has focused around Yahoo! and Marissa Mayer, and we can assure you that my 6 Things You Need to Know Right Now will not include either! Instead we’re going to dive into various other [...]
When I think of the term abortion, I always think of a woman at a life altering crossroads of her life. A tough decision that women unfortunately have to make sometimes. I can honestly say, I don’t wish the thought process on anyone, because it is extremely difficult. In Iowa, lawmakers are hard at work [...]
If the last few months have shown us anything, they’ve shown us that the great moral divide is growing in this country. The hot button issues – gay marriage, gun control, abortion, to name a few – are the main ingredients in a messy soup of political discourse that is more reminiscent of a schoolyard [...]
Last week an email circulated with a link to a call for CNN iReport submissions. The so-called assignment asked the question: “Have you had an abortion?” CNN framed the story this way: “…As much as abortion gets debated politically, rarely do we read stories of women who have chosen to terminate a pregnancy. We [...]
I think sometimes when you proclaim that you are strongly pro-choice, biased stereotypes are born. I have heard all varieties of judgement while having children and keeping my strong pro-choice beliefs, I am not surprised about it though. About a year ago, I posted this on my personal website DanielleElwood.com just to really talk about [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- When Big Pharma “Strong” Arms Mothers, We All Lose May 6, 2013
- President’s Woes Don’t Equal Watergate May 18, 2013
- Angelina the Amazon May 17, 2013
- 6 Things You Need To Know Right Now: Scandals Abound! May 17, 2013
- The IRS & the Tea Party: Nonprofits Need More Scrutiny, Not Less May 17, 2013
- “Weigh-cism” in America May 16, 2013
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: What a terrible choice these women are forced to m...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: Will just makes me laugh out loud....
- Holly: Great summary of in real life scandals....
- Gena: No. I will not stop being African-American, Black ...
- deb: thanks for your nice comment SJ. "laughing at ot...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter