Did you know if you use birth control… you will have teeny tiny little fetuses embedded into your uterus? Yup! Those little phantom kicks you feel on occasion, those are actually the ghost of fetus past which you killed off by taking the proper precautions of using birth control to prevent pregnancy. The shock! The [...]
As we approach the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Guttmacher Institute has created a series of info-graphics to clarify the facts about abortion in our country. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, I have to hope that graphics like these will help us to have a more honest conversation about birth [...]
This is the third in a series of posts about why I find myself, a historical Democrat, becoming conflicted about who I will vote for this year. I guess I’m a swing voter. I’m worried about footing the bill for Baby Boomer retirement, I’m still not over the fact that Hillary Clinton lost and then [...]
So I had a few things to say the other day about how I felt after seeing President Obama speak at Colorado State University. But after hearing the speech, I have a few more things to say: Vagipolitics And women, oh dear women. Let’s not be histrionic about our reproductive rights. Mitt Romney has no power over [...]
“The Republican platform and the speaker lineup for the Republican National Convention demonstrate a fundamental disregard for women and women’s health.” Spoken by the president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, we can safely assume that the speaker is most interested in reproductive health policy. I argue that too often we conflate attention to and [...]
The contraception debate has caused women to sit up and take notice of the presidential race, if they weren’t already paying attention. I realize it’s a little hard to get excited about this primary season. But mess with a woman’s reproductive rights and you stir up a hornet’s nest. It has served as fuel for [...]
Whatever happened to good old American ingenuity? What happened to having a back-up plan? All of this bickering about vaginas and amendments, about who’s getting calls from the President and who’s not, about who started cursing at women first and who just followed suit, is missing the point. There’s more than one way to skin [...]
It seems all sorts of folks have been speaking on my behalf about a few things. And I am referring to myself in the general “just your average mom” kind of way. As a typical, average mom who believes in equality, choice and, well, love (I know, sooooo feminist of me), these folks seem to [...]
Earlier this week, I wrote a blog for Daily Kos outlining my discomfort around the Catholic Bishops’ attacks against the Affordable Care Act because of a mandate to cover birth control. Since then, I snail-mailed a letter to Bishop Salvatore Cordileone of the Archdiocese of Oakland, California, in the same contribution envelope I was sent [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- Tina: This article confirms our decisions about college....
- Joanne Bamberger: @Jonathan, That is an excellent point. We should ...
- Jonathan Menon: Not that this comment of mine has any real relevan...
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter