I have long believed that a person’s reaction to tragedy is the clearest definition of their character we could ever wish to observe, and if I’m not mistaken we’ve learned a lot about a handful of our political commentators in the hours following the Boston Marathon bombing. Officials hadn’t even determined if all three of [...]
Last summer, in a last ditch attempt at spurring the budgetary super committee to action on the crushing federal deficit, an agreement was reached in Washington D.C. That agreement — known officially as the Budget Control Act, and unofficially as The Sequester – combined with impending tax hikes as a result of congress’ inability to [...]
Some of my fondest childhood memories take place in the living room of my grandparents’ old farm house. I can remember the bright red carpet with its swirled texture; the navy blue slippers my Grandma always wore in the house; the way her thighs looked when she sat, legs crossed at the knees, in her [...]
I live in Tampa, a city where a Category 1 hurricane and 50,000 Republicans are expected to arrive early next week. As a liberal-minded, suburban-living mom, these are harrowing prospects indeed. And as a Democrat generally opposed to most of the GOP’s agenda, the symbolism that this stormy little act of God pushing up the [...]
Twitter may be all atwitter with talk of the newly announced “GOP Dream Team”, but what everyone’s really thinking is, “Hey Mittens, don’t screw this up!” Paul Ryan is this year’s conservative golden boy. He’s a blue-collar raised, young gun, budgetary pen wielding, economic whiz kid who’s not afraid of a little hard work, has [...]
I get asked often why I decided to take this trip, this year around my own country. There are many answers I give, depending on the time allotted and the perceived interest of the person asking. Once in a while, if I suspect someone really cares about hearing the long answer, I’ll talk about my [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Pope Francis on Religious Tolerance: Do Good. We Will Meet One Another There May 23, 2013
- Voting ‘Yes’ for Schools, But ‘No’ to Giving My Time May 23, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Renae: This is a fantastic article, and it brought tears ...
- tracy thompson: The college pressure on teenage girls is incredibl...
- Joan Haskins: Terrific article, Tina!...
- Tina: Thanks Amy. Jen, you're singing my song....
- Rebecca: Loved this piece - I completely agree that we need...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter