I spent the night with Pussy Riot. Granted, they were on the big screen, and I was sitting in Arkansas at the Little Rock Film Festival. Yet, the documentary, Pussy Riot – A Punk Prayer, transported me to Russia and into the lives of the three members of the feminist punk rock collective who wear [...]
Republican Congressman and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and others in his party have recently been promoting an idea that conservatives have long shied away from — government-mandated workplace flexibility. Republicans have made it clear for decades that the idea of flex-time and other ideas to promote flexibility should be left up to employers and [...]
In the days after three women were rescued from the Cleveland home of Ariel Castro, the media started reporting on the possibility of murder charges being filed against Castro alongside the four counts of kidnapping. If you are not familiar with the case itself, Castro is accused of not only repeatedly raping the three women [...]
As the graduation season winds down the strains of “Pomp and Circumstance” are fading, the mortarboards and robes are coming off, and the after-parties will soon be over. When the new college grads wake up, many will be in a new world. Welcome to Debtorville. The number of U.S. adults with student loan debt has [...]
Duncan McTaggart regarded President Barack Obama from 15 feet behind him on the stage. The president delivered a speech to Duncan’s co-workers, his congressional representatives, Baltimore’s mayor, and Maryland’s governor at Baltimore’s Ellicott Dredges plant, one of the oldest dredging equipment companies in the world. McTaggart had just finished introducing Obama to the crowd. Not [...]
Inside the beltway, there’s a tendency to “gate” everything. If you’re old enough, or a student of history, you know that Richard Nixon’s Watergate scandal was one of the most notorious presidential scandals ever (that didn’t involve an intern!) Ever since then, any potential trouble for a president (and sometimes others) in Washington has been [...]
In Greek mythology, Amazons were said to remove a breast in order to better shoot arrows. This week, the world awoke to realize that the breathtakingly beautiful Angelina Jolie had removed both of her breasts in order to better see her grandchildren. A lot has already been written on Jolie and her decision. For the [...]
Washington Republicans and Democrats finally found something about which they can agree: The Internal Revenue Service should not have singled out groups with conservative sounding names for heightened scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status. Democrats can claim consistency. When Bush Administration departments were caught politicizing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and using partisan litmus [...]
It’s high time for white folks to stop laughing at the way black folks talk. Of course, I’m referring to the latest social media sensation: Charles Ramsey, the man who is a hero for his Good Samaritan role in the rescue of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight from the Cleveland home of Ariel [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- What is REALLY Important to Military Families May 21, 2013
- Tina: This article confirms our decisions about college....
- Joanne Bamberger: @Jonathan, That is an excellent point. We should ...
- Jonathan Menon: Not that this comment of mine has any real relevan...
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter