I have an eight-year-old son, and as much as I have tried to steer him to playtime activities that don’t involve an element of violence, it hasn’t worked. For years, I allowed no violent toys. No violent video games, no Lego sets that came with guns, no Nerf guns, no water guns, nothing. Yet, every [...]
This week behaved as if it had something to prove. From the Boston Marathon bombings, to the Senate’s stunning refusal to endorse expanded background checks, to the plant explosion in West, Texas, these past seven days have seemed like, well, a marathon for the human spirit. Without begrudging the very worthy attention each of those events [...]
Are white men really to blame for our gun violence issues? Charlotte and Harriet Childress, who say they are “researchers and consultants on social and political issues,” promote that theory in their recent Washington Post op-ed , but the piece would indicate their research has little more depth than a layer of skin. Which is probably [...]
When will it happen again? Will I be a victim when I am volunteering, as I did this morning, at our local rehabilitation center? Or will it be my husband at the university? Will it be our son, interning on Capitol Hill? Or my nephew in his Big Ten university classroom? Will it be my [...]
In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, I mused on my Facebook page about the bully aspect to this story. One person rightly commented that we don’t just have a gun problem in America. We also have bullying and anger problems, ones that we’re neglecting in commentary about violence. So why aren’t [...]
First published at jedmorey.com With the gun control debate taking over the national conversation, I’ve forced the writer in me to look at the issue critically, to reconcile the far-left idea of gun control with conservative fears of a too far-reaching government. But it was the mom in me who “liked” The Brady Campaign to [...]
If the last few months have shown us anything, they’ve shown us that the great moral divide is growing in this country. The hot button issues – gay marriage, gun control, abortion, to name a few – are the main ingredients in a messy soup of political discourse that is more reminiscent of a schoolyard [...]
President Obama stood in front of masses of media and announced his proposals for gun control in the wake of a number of school shootings in the past month, including a horrible tragedy here in my home state of Connecticut just two towns up the road at Sandy Hook Elementary. President Obama has proposed several [...]
The last few days since the Sandy Hook massacre the media has been full of gossip and speculation about the young man who committed this horrific crime. Journalists have talked about his introverted personality, his social awkwardness, and being a troubled teenager. There has been speculation that he has Asperger’s Syndrome or some kind of [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- When Big Pharma “Strong” Arms Mothers, We All Lose May 6, 2013
- President’s Woes Don’t Equal Watergate May 18, 2013
- Angelina the Amazon May 17, 2013
- 6 Things You Need To Know Right Now: Scandals Abound! May 17, 2013
- The IRS & the Tea Party: Nonprofits Need More Scrutiny, Not Less May 17, 2013
- “Weigh-cism” in America May 16, 2013
- Veronica Arreola: Thank you! Brenda just sent me this link to a woma...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: What a terrible choice these women are forced to m...
- Bernadine Spitzsnogel: Will just makes me laugh out loud....
- Holly: Great summary of in real life scandals....
- Gena: No. I will not stop being African-American, Black ...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter