If you’ve been following the gun control debate over the months since the Newtown tragedy, one thing has become radically apparent: the gun rights movement is far better organized than the gun control movement. And the gun rights movement is emerging victorious, at least on the federal level, because of it. But a recent story [...]
I have an eight-year-old son, and as much as I have tried to steer him to playtime activities that don’t involve an element of violence, it hasn’t worked. For years, I allowed no violent toys. No violent video games, no Lego sets that came with guns, no Nerf guns, no water guns, nothing. Yet, every [...]
Are white men really to blame for our gun violence issues? Charlotte and Harriet Childress, who say they are “researchers and consultants on social and political issues,” promote that theory in their recent Washington Post op-ed , but the piece would indicate their research has little more depth than a layer of skin. Which is probably [...]
When will it happen again? Will I be a victim when I am volunteering, as I did this morning, at our local rehabilitation center? Or will it be my husband at the university? Will it be our son, interning on Capitol Hill? Or my nephew in his Big Ten university classroom? Will it be my [...]
In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, I mused on my Facebook page about the bully aspect to this story. One person rightly commented that we don’t just have a gun problem in America. We also have bullying and anger problems, ones that we’re neglecting in commentary about violence. So why aren’t [...]
6 Things You Need to Know Right Now: The Sequester, Abortion Bowl-a-Thons & CNN vs. Real Journalists
It is that time of the week again! A lot has gone on in the media this week. Most of which has focused around Yahoo! and Marissa Mayer, and we can assure you that my 6 Things You Need to Know Right Now will not include either! Instead we’re going to dive into various other [...]
First published at jedmorey.com With the gun control debate taking over the national conversation, I’ve forced the writer in me to look at the issue critically, to reconcile the far-left idea of gun control with conservative fears of a too far-reaching government. But it was the mom in me who “liked” The Brady Campaign to [...]
If the last few months have shown us anything, they’ve shown us that the great moral divide is growing in this country. The hot button issues – gay marriage, gun control, abortion, to name a few – are the main ingredients in a messy soup of political discourse that is more reminiscent of a schoolyard [...]
The White House just released the list of guests who will be joining Michelle Obama in the traditional First Lady’s Seating Box for the State of the Union address. There are always some Americans invited whose stories are personally compelling and add something along the lines of what sportscasters call “color commentary” for an event. [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- When Big Pharma “Strong” Arms Mothers, We All Lose May 6, 2013
- President’s Woes Don’t Equal Watergate May 18, 2013
- Angelina the Amazon May 17, 2013
- 6 Things You Need To Know Right Now: Scandals Abound! May 17, 2013
- The IRS & the Tea Party: Nonprofits Need More Scrutiny, Not Less May 17, 2013
- “Weigh-cism” in America May 16, 2013
- Holly: Great summary of in real life scandals....
- Gena: No. I will not stop being African-American, Black ...
- deb: thanks for your nice comment SJ. "laughing at ot...
- deb: somehow my responses got out of order - just clari...
- deb: thanks susan!...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter