A friend of mine wrote a Facebook plea, that every military spouse I know can empathize with: “Dear Air Force – can you tell me if we are moving or not, we need soy sauce – I need to know whether to buy the Costco size or not.” I know, it’s a small thing, but [...]
The term ‘sometimes single mom’ is inaccurate. Single moms don’t say, “I’m a sometimes single mom.” True, some have the support of their exes, financially or otherwise, but many just do not. They are actually a single parent in the true sense of the word. They are responsible for a child or children they are [...]
When my husband got an airline job, I felt completely without a tribe. Even though he was still a military officer, I was completely disconnected from the base. And as many military wives know, Guard and Reserves can be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to family support anyway. There was no pilot [...]
I am not really one to watch late night television. Once my eleven o’clock news is over, I am pretty much toast most nights. But I had to record Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Friday night because my favorite band, The Avett Brothers would be performing. What I also forgot was the fact that [...]
The White House just released the list of guests who will be joining Michelle Obama in the traditional First Lady’s Seating Box for the State of the Union address. There are always some Americans invited whose stories are personally compelling and add something along the lines of what sportscasters call “color commentary” for an event. [...]
Is Barack Obama an iPhone man or a Blackberry kind of guy? Does Mitt Romney like to “tweet” or is he more about “friending?” Image says everything. That’s a mantra not only worshipped in marketing and advertising, but these days, in politics as well. So what images do our presidential candidates, Barack Obama and Mitt [...]
Stay in school! Graduate! Register to vote! These are the subversive messages the Obamas have been trying to get into our children’s schools! Remember a couple of years ago when some super conservative Americans decried the fact that President Obama was going to make a “stay in school” speech to be streamed into classrooms? Many [...]
Why are Americans so afraid of strong women? That we are, in fact, afraid is the only conclusion I can draw from the flap over the new book on President Obama and the reported “conflicts” between First Lady Michelle Obama and the President’s staff. Now, we all know that even among groups of motivated people [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- What is REALLY Important to Military Families May 21, 2013
- College Debt Has a Female Face May 20, 2013
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
- Gena: P.S. Code switching is not slang. It is the abilit...
- Saad: My dear, excuse my typos... I certainly didn't p...
- deb: Hi Jamie, As you can imagine, we will have to a...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter