Inside the beltway, there’s a tendency to “gate” everything. If you’re old enough, or a student of history, you know that Richard Nixon’s Watergate scandal was one of the most notorious presidential scandals ever (that didn’t involve an intern!) Ever since then, any potential trouble for a president (and sometimes others) in Washington has been [...]
A friend of mine wrote a Facebook plea, that every military spouse I know can empathize with: “Dear Air Force – can you tell me if we are moving or not, we need soy sauce – I need to know whether to buy the Costco size or not.” I know, it’s a small thing, but [...]
Oops, he did it again! President Obama has decided that he knows what is best for young women in the United States. In late 2011, he decided that young women need a prescription to obtain Plan B, otherwise known as the morning-after pill. He urged us to use common sense and pulled the daddy card. [...]
Graduation Day at The Ohio State University is a big deal in Columbus. But when the sitting President of the United States is the commencement speaker? Then it’s a national event. I had the honor of hearing President Obama speak to the Class of 2013. I wondered if he would keep the speech light and [...]
Suri Cruise is the almost-seven-year-old daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Suri Cruise now has bangs. Suri Cruise’s recent acquisition of bangs was a headline featured by various news outlets, including ABC News and The Huffington Post (the latter noting that the elementary-schooler has blazed her own “sartorial trail”). I am more than seven years old, and [...]
It’s time to make a pact. From now on, if you are in a professional setting and you’re thinking in your head, “Now that is one attractive man/woman/person/employee/colleague/business associate, etc.” this is what you must do from this day forward – Keep. It. To. Yourself. This is especially important if you are the president of [...]
Sometimes, our society gets caught up in the idea that achievement is a giant scholarly test-acing gold medal gold star. To that end, there’s a big race to nowhere (a film I highly recommend seeing) and a sense that “best” is defined by Ivy Leagues and the goods that supposedly follow thereafter, even though there [...]
Usually when presidential remarks are released to the media, they are embargoed until they are actually delivered. This evening, the White House has released the following excerpts of the State of the Union address to give you a flavor of what’s to come: “It is our generation’s task, then, to reignite the true engine of [...]
President Barack Obama is TIME Magazine’s Person of the Year. Again. I don’t have anything against the President receiving the honor, but as I read the explanation for that choice, it occurred to me that if those on the panel choosing the honoree were really looking for a symbolic choice, the better one would have [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Pope Francis on Religious Tolerance: Do Good. We Will Meet One Another There May 23, 2013
- Voting ‘Yes’ for Schools, But ‘No’ to Giving My Time May 23, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Renae: This is a fantastic article, and it brought tears ...
- tracy thompson: The college pressure on teenage girls is incredibl...
- Joan Haskins: Terrific article, Tina!...
- Tina: Thanks Amy. Jen, you're singing my song....
- Rebecca: Loved this piece - I completely agree that we need...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter