It was early August 2008 and I was confused. A fairly well-known magazine journalist had recently published a book about three iconic women whose music in the ’60s and ’70s was the subtle feminist soundtrack for a generation coming of age. I was interviewing her — ostensibly about the book — for a women’s issues [...]
It’s time to make a pact. From now on, if you are in a professional setting and you’re thinking in your head, “Now that is one attractive man/woman/person/employee/colleague/business associate, etc.” this is what you must do from this day forward – Keep. It. To. Yourself. This is especially important if you are the president of [...]
I wonder if Vanity Fair knew there’d be trouble as soon as it dove in. Probably. Trouble is probably exactly what it wanted to stir up. Imagine you’ve scored an interview with the planet’s most visible, popular songstress. Imagine that, over the course of that interview, said songstress makes criticisms, veiled or otherwise, of two [...]
Nine-year-old Quvenzhane Wallis was nominated for Best Actress in the film Beasts of the Southern Wild, making her the youngest person to ever be nominated for that award. Sadly, it appears that some adults were too immature to handle her nomination. I thought that the buck would stop with the show’s host Seth MacFarlane, who [...]
Meet Barb Rechterman. She is the senior executive Vice President and chief marketing officer for GoDaddy. Last week after GoDaddy debuted their new sexist ad during the Super Bowl, women all over America figured this ad was the product of some college aged frat boy, not a middle aged business woman. While this development was [...]
When I first saw the new—and suddenly buzzed about —cover for the reissue of the classic series Anne of Green Gables, my mind went instantly into cynical and jaded mode with reflex speediness. I flashed to the classic (okay, well feminist classic) No Comment photos. Because, let’s face it, someone in the marketing world decided [...]
GoDaddy recently called me regarding domain renewals. You see, one of my reserved urls was about to expire and a few others were approaching expiration. Like many bloggers, I typically keep a stable of one to two dozen urls on hold for current and future projects. I let the domain in question lapse. I [...]
By now, you may have seen Matt Lauer’s interview with Anne Hathaway on the Today Show where, instead of focusing on her upcoming movie Les Miserables, he decided it was better to mock her about a recent “wardrobe malfunction.” Why do I care about this episode? It’s not because I think Hathaway needs my help. [...]
There’s plenty of sexism and downright misogyny among talking heads and commentators to go around. Neither the left not the right has a lock on who’s worse. As many people, including myself, have called out Rush Limbaugh for his recent remarks calling a Georgetown law student a “slut” and a “prostitute” for her stand on [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- The Doubled Edged Sword of Murder Charges Against Ariel Castro May 21, 2013
- What is REALLY Important to Military Families May 21, 2013
- Tina: This article confirms our decisions about college....
- Joanne Bamberger: @Jonathan, That is an excellent point. We should ...
- Jonathan Menon: Not that this comment of mine has any real relevan...
- Christina Gleason @ WELL, in THIS House: I think this would make a huge difference in the e...
- Beverly Uhlmer: Thank you, Deb. I have lived in several different...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter