Singling teachers out in a recent interview with NBC’s Brian Williams, Republican Presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, called for a stoppage of teacher’s unions’ ability to contribute to political campaigns. In 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the right of all corporations and unions to contribute an unlimited amount of money to campaigns. Romney stated, “[Allowing [...]
For the first time in a quarter-century, Chicago Public Schools teachers are walking the picket line, striking over an unfair contract and devaluing procedures and expectations ushered in with this year’s extended day program. I am watching the politics, press and negotiations carefully. I am not only a parent of a child in CPS, I [...]
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach. A crappier load of BS was never uttered. I say, “Those who can, teach. Those who can’t, get out of the way.” I am fed up with people who do not value teachers. Did these people not reach their station in life thanks to a teacher in [...]
What DOES a teacher do when they’re teaching school? As a “retired” public elementary school teacher with a Masters Degree* in Elementary Education, I’m here to expand your brains. With this year’s attempts at teacher pay budget-cutting in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, New Jersey and Florida, many untruths about teachers have been spread. There are some [...]
In my defense of public school teachers, I’m starting a multi-part series on just what teachers do. What DOES a teacher do when they’re teaching school? As a “retired” public elementary school teacher with a Masters Degree* in Elementary Education, I’m here to expand your brains. With the teacher pay budget-cutting discussions we saw in [...]
- I Want My Mother Back May 10, 2013
- Charles Ramsey and the Racial Language Barrier May 16, 2013
- Brave’s Merida is Herself Again. But for How Long? May 14, 2013
- Can “Maybe” Empower Our Children in Times of Fear? May 13, 2013
- Will My Ice Floe Have Starbucks and Wi-fi? May 15, 2013
- Voting ‘Yes’ for Schools, But ‘No’ to Giving My Time May 23, 2013
- It’s Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature: Are Tornadoes Getting Worse? May 23, 2013
- The Sound of One Hand Praying? May 22, 2013
- Pussy Riot: Feminist Punk Icons on Film May 22, 2013
- Two Very Different Takes on Working Family Flexiblity May 22, 2013
- Joan Haskins: Terrific article, Tina!...
- Tina: Thanks Amy. Jen, you're singing my song....
- Rebecca: Loved this piece - I completely agree that we need...
- Amy McVay Abbott: Excellent article, Tina....
- jen: Yes. Amen. This. Whatever the right expression is....
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Follow @The_Broad_Side on Twitter